7th GRADE SCIENCE
Montrose-R 14 School
This is a basic science course that will continue a program begun in the 6th grade. Topics for this year will include the study of water and the atmosphere, motion and energy, and space science.
By the end of this course students should be able to do the following:
- Explain how force, motion and work are related.
- Identify energy transformations between objects, including magnetism, electricity and thermal energy.
- Explain how changes in water and temperature in the atmosphere cause weather events.
- Identify methods by which weather data is collected and understand how that data is applied to weather forecasts.
- Read a weather map and understand how geography and weather are related.
- Explain the movement of the sun, the moon, the planets and stars is the sky based on their position in relation to each other.
- Recognize how planets differ from one another, and how space exploration has added to our knowledge.
- Develop skills in measurement, observation, data gathering, and analysis as they do hands on activities in the laboratory.
The students will be using texts from the short course series published by Holt McDougal. Each student will have his or her own book which will serve as a reading source and a workbook.
Students will receive grades for homework assignments, lab work, participating in active reading activities using the text book, and tests. Tests, of course, will be worth more points than most assignments.
Classroom rules include:
- Treat everyone with respect and courtesy.
- Come to class prepared with the appropriate materials and a good attitude.
- Turn in work on time, neatly done and complete.
- Follow instructions and all rules of safety.
- Cell phone use will not be allowed during class.
Students should avoid leaving the classroom for restroom or locker visits unless there is an emergency. Food and drinks are not allowed in the classroom. Since this is a science class, there will be additional rules in regard to safety issues during lab. Students who break these safety rules may lose the privilege of participating in future lab activities which will impact their grade.
I have read the 7th Grade Science Course Expectations, and I agree to follow the rules listed and to make the most of my time in 7th Grade Science class.